Monday 12 December 2016

Tutorial: Applying Makeup to Your Equestria Girl

To all those wondering how you can spice up your Equestria girl's look, you've come to the right place! The program I'm going to use is Microsoft Paint.

First off, I'm going to use a base. This step is not necessary because I'm just using one for the sake of this tutorial, nothing big. This base is by DashiePower. Remember, whenever you use a base, you must credit the base maker!


I'd like to start editing by changing the eyes. I'm looking for eyes that are elegant but not too cartoonish. If you don't want to change the eyes, you can skip this part. 
I also did a re-touch to make sure that the eyes don't look irregular. I've made them dark indigo and added just a small glare to them.

Next, I change the eyebrows and eyelashes. The new eyebrows were longer, they have a thicker end that thins out to the other. Eyebrows give the character a little attitude, depending on what kind of facial expression you're drawing.
You have to be very careful when you're making the eyelashes, because if they're not properly balanced, they can look like weird tufts of hair. Eyelashes are a lot simpler to make if you use a Rarity base.
Here's the fun part, the eyeshadow!

You must save a pair of eyes before you do this. You can copy the eyes and erase the other colors by picking them up then hold left on your mouse while erasing. I saved the eyes in the red box after changing the color of her eyeshadow.
Once you have that taken care of, use a base color above her eyes. The base color occupies a larger space. That's where you're going to blend the makeup. Use a gradient from her skin color and the base color. Don't know how to do that? Here's a guide. I don't use all of the gradient, the colors I used are highlighted in red.

You don't really have to use the curve tool for blending. I used a pencil. The blending has to be soft and subtle, otherwise it gives an obvious contrast on the skin. Then, I used the curve tool with the skin color to reshape the eyeshadow. Next, layer the saved pair of eyes over the blend.
Expand the original eyeshadow a little. After that, shade it with darker or lighter colors. This time, the shading does not have to be as subtle, instead give the colors some contrast. Last but not least, I sparkled up the eyes and changed the smile to a grin.

Here's a similar version. She looks playful but confident. I hope this tutorial helps a bunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment